Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:47:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        namaskar_alok@yahoo.co.in
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device configuration and Structure

In message: <20060821104912.3899.qmail@web8905.mail.in.yahoo.com>
            Alok Barsode <namaskar_alok@yahoo.co.in> writes:
: I wanted to know how r memory-mapped devices
: configured during initialization?
:
: Like for example if i have a PCI ethernet card,which
: is attached to the PCI bus.The PCI bus will probe the
: attached device, call all the associated drivers (in
: the driver list in devclass pcibus)during autoconf and
: associate a driver which bids the max,But what if i
: have a onboard memory-mapped ethernet controller? what
: bus will it attach itself to?

If this device is just hanging out in memory space, and isn't on the
PCI bus, then you'll need to arrange via some other means to have it
probed/attached.

On the AT91RM9200 port that I just did enumerated all the devices I
knew the CPU had in the atmelarm bus driver with known resources.
This was all hard coded.  I plan on migrating to using a hinted scheme
shortly so that we can support other members of the arm9 at91 family.
This sounds like an embedded box of some flavor, so you may need to do
this.

If this is a x86 box, then you can just list a hint on the ISA bus,
just like you would for any other ISA device.  This is a small lie,
but likely not a fatal one.  The only issue becomes how to route the
interrupt.

Does that help?

Warner

: I am developing a device driver for a onboard memory
: mapped ethernet controller.
:
: Thanks,
: Alok.
:
: Do You Yahoo!?
: Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
: http://mail.yahoo.com