Date:      Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:40:34 +0000
From:      Konstantin Chuguev <Konstantin.Chuguev@dante.org.uk>
To:        Dmitry Sychov <accelware@accelware.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dlopen()

Dmitry Sychov wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> Is it safe to remove the *.so file after it is loaded
> into the process space and addresses to its
> functions are gotten?

It's safe to remove it as soon as it's been opened.
The file will still exist in the filesystem, only there won't be any
references to it from any directories, so you won't be able to open it
by its name. The file will be really removed from the file system when
you close your file descriptor.

> I've tested this and have no problems so far.
>
> I need this to implement the "hot swap" of the
> dynamic loading libraries.
>
> Thanks,
> Dmitry

          * *        Konstantin Chuguev - Application Engineer
       *      *              Francis House, 112 Hills Road
     *                       Cambridge CB2 1PQ, United Kingdom
 D  A  N  T  E       WWW:    http://www.dante.net