Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 07:05:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        Wayne.Vinson@Colorado.EDU (VINSON WAYNE HOWARD)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/mixerstat

In a previous message, VINSON WAYNE HOWARD said:

> This question has been plaquing me, and I don't know where to post it, but
> this is supposed to be for "questions," so here goes:
>
> I have OSS demo for my sound system, and it appears to be configured
> properly.
>
> I can cat .wavs to /dev/dsp0 or /dev/dsp1 and get a (predictably bad)
> output.  Now, here's the problem.  My system came with /dev/dsp a symbolic
> link to /dev/sndstat and /dev/mixer a symbolic link to /dev/mixerstat.
> Well, I obviously can't cat audio to the sound status device, and
> dev/mixerstat doesn't even exist! (MAKEDEV can't make it either).  Of
> course all the sound programs I try to use don't work as a result of this
> mess.  So, what should dev/mixer and dev/dsp be liks to?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help, and cc me 'cuz I'm not on the list.

My /dev/dsp* is:
$ ls -l dsp*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         4 Jun 24  1998 dsp -> dsp0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   3 Mar 25  1998 dsp0
crw--w--w-  1 root  wheel   30,  19 Mar 19  1998 dsp1

$ ls -l sndstat mixer mixerstat
ls: mixerstat: No such file or directory
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel         6 Jun 24  1998 mixer -> mixer0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel   30,   6 Mar 25  1998 sndstat

And I'm using OSS.

--
WHAT MOST PEOPLE ARE THINKING WHEN THEY SAY "I LOVE YOU"

"Some lovers might be real nervous, so they are glad that they finally
 got it out and said it and now they can go eat."      --Dick, age 7