Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:05:49 +1100
From:      Andrew Nesbit <alnesbit@optushome.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA HDD geometry confusion

I'm trying to install 4.2-R from a bootable CD-ROM onto an IBM 30GB (75GXP
series) HDD,
with the whole disk used for FreeBSD, set up in compatibility mode. The
disk is set to
LBA mode in the BIOS.

The help screens in sysinstall say that it is important to get the geometry
of the HDD
correct.

So far I have 3 conflicting reports of what my HDD geometry is:

1.  3737 / 255 / 63  from sysinstall's fdisk (given as default)
2.  59560 / 16 / 63  from BIOS and FreeBSD device probe
3.  27724 / 4 / ???  (physical) from IBM's website

1. seems to be the LBA translation of 2, but not exactly (maybe it is
"compensating"
for compatibility mode?) I have no idea how 3. would fit into the picture.

My question is: should I go with the default given by fdisk, or is
something wrong
which needs to be changed?

Thanks.
-Andrew Nesbit