Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 2002 17:21:23 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'rm' incompatibility with Posix.2

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Bogdan TARU <bgd@icomag.de> writes:
> > On 10 Apr 2002, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> > > In my humble opinion, Solaris (and every other *nix) is broken in
> > > this
> > > respect, and *BSD is correct.
> > Except for OpenBDS. No NetBDS machine available, maybe some of you
> > could
> > try it on one as well?
>
> I don't know of any "OpenBDS" or "NetBDS", but NetBSD has the same
> semantics as FreeBSD:

For ls, so do linux, HP-UX, and Digital Unix 4.0 -- I just checked.
It does seem the more sensible and useful behaviour.  However,
without the -l flag the symlink is followed regardless of the
trailing /

From Digital Unix:
rs> mkdir foo
rs> mkdir foo/bar
rs> ln -s foo baz
rs> ls baz
bar/
rs> ls baz/
bar/
rs> ls -l baz
lrwxrwxrwx   1 rsidd    users          3 Apr 10 20:43 baz@ -> foo/
rs> ls -l baz/
total 1
drwxr-xr-x   2 rsidd    users        512 Apr 10 20:43 bar/

With rm baz/  it's different: linux doesn't follow the symlink, it
removes "baz".  Digital and HP-UX follow the symlink.  All three
remove the symlink if specified without the trailing /

- Rahul