Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/22237: XChat ports arbitrarily open TCP port

The following reply was made to PR ports/22237; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To: Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:48:00 -0500 (CDT)

 On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Ade Lovett wrote:

 > On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 12:46:25AM -0700, alex@wnm.net wrote:
 > > The XChat 1.5.9 and 1.4.3 ports are built with the --enable-panel option.
 > > This has the effect, according to the client's author, that it will
 > > always open a TCP port due to its use of ORBit.
 >
 > Incorrect.  The version of ORBit from the FreeBSD port tree was "fixed"
 > in this aspect on 2000/09/15 where a default configuration file was
 > installed that only uses unix domain sockets for inter-process
 > communication.
 >
 > Please try to do at least a little research first.

 You're right. I was still using ORBit 0.5.1 on the machine in question
 when I built the XChat port. Now that you mention it, I remember the ORBit
 discussion on one of the lists but didn't manage to put two and two
 together. My apologies.

 -ac

 Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
 System Administrator                         Memphis, TN 38157
 WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
 Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/