Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 1996 10:28:38 +0200
From:      Mark R V Murray <markm@iafrica.com>
To:        reg@shale.csir.co.za (Jeremy Lea)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0-current Kernel panicking on bootup

 wrote:
> Hi...
>
> Mark R V Murray writes:
> > I have a 386sx/40 which is consistently panicking on bootup. This is
> > happening in the igmp_init() routine, near as I can determine, and
> > the error message at panic time is "priveliged instruction fault
> > while in kernel mode".
>
> Hey, someone else having the same problem as me... was introuced somewhere
> after the 28th Nov. Machine is a 386DX/40, with 8MB. Unfortunately I dont
> have the space for the CVS tree (dont even have space for /usr/obj :) so I
> can't go and back out changes... These files were modified after the 28th
> and are being built as part of my kernel:
>
> sys/i386/i386/machdep.c
> sys/i386/i386/support.s
:
:

Strange thing with this it that the same sources are used to build a
kernel on a 486dx/50, and that does _not_ panic. Clues, anyone?

> Kernel config makes no difference AFAIK.

I built about 9 kernels last night - threw out this, put in that. No
difference.

> Another thought... some pci files are being built (not sure if it's because
> of recent changes to if_ed.c etc.) and I'm not including any other pci
> stuff...

I saw that ed/pci thing and wondered. This board of mine is too ancient
to be PCI.

Mark Murray
Network Engineer, UUNET Internet Africa