Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2008 12:26:52 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   vmstat layout

vmstat(1) tries very hard to fit everything in 80 columns.

Unfortunately, it's been years since anyone had a machine where none of
the columns overflowed.

The recent addition of -h helps with the avm and fre columns, but on a
busy system (e.g. a Varnish server on a busy web site), pretty much
every single column will overflow.  If you have disks with names longer
than three letters, even the two header lines will be misaligned!

Here's an example from a mostly idle machine:

 procs      memory      page                    disks                     f=
aults         cpu
 r b w     avm    fre   flt  re  pi  po    fr  sr ad0 ad1 ad2 ad3 ad10 ad12=
   in   sy   cs us sy id
 2 1 0    193M  1015M   444   2   8   0  4862   0   0   0   0   0   0   0  =
348 1297 4704  1  7 92

Removing columns is not an acceptable solution (it would break too many
existing scripts), so I'm afraid we're going to have to make the output
wider than 80 columns, unless someone can come up with a better solution.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no