Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 12:45:23 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird behavior (bug? fix included) with sendmail/dns/gethostbyname

<<On Fri, 24 May 1996 14:54:20 -0500, Dave Bodenstab <imdave@synet.net> said:

> Again, just as expected.  I'll also mention that the test program does *not*
> result in a dns lookup.  So, I don't know what sendmail is doing that the
> order of the hostnames would make a difference.

Sendmail needs to know the fully-qualified domain name of your host.
You didn't provide it.  (Sendmail knows that the first address listed
by gethostby*() is the canonical one, and it is not allowed to use
noncanonical ones.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.