Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:28:50 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-rc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot ordering and syslogd

Sam Leffler wrote:
> I tried to use syslog to debug an issue with dhclient and noticed that
> syslogd is started too late for it to work.  This is because dhclient
> operates in a chroot jail so must setup it's connection to syslogd
> before privsep work is done.  This seems like a general problem and one
> that should be fixed.
>
> Anyone got an idea how to correct this?

It's a chicken-and-egg issue because if you need the network to do
remote syslog'ing (or syslog'ing to an NFS partition, etc.), you need
the network up first.

What I've done in similar situations is to modify a copy of
dhclient-script to spit out data to a text file. If you need something
more robust you could always change the ordering locally. If you need
help with that just let us know.

Doug