Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 02:33:12 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

David Scheidt said on May 16, 2000 at 15:54:51:
> On Wed, 17 May 2000, Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
>
> >   From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> >   To: rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in
> >   Subject: Re: GPL question
> >
> >       Is it ok to license one's software under "version 2 of the GPL, and
> >       only that version"?
> >
> >   It is a bad idea, because when we have GPL version 3 and release other
> >   programs under version 3, your program will be stuck at GPL version 2.
> >   And it will be illegal to copy code between your program and all the
> >   other GPL-covered programs that are released under GPL version 3.
> >

> Of course, if you release code under the standard "version n, or any later
> version", and FSF gets bought out by Microsoft^Wthe forces of evil, and
> releases version 3 of the license which says "screw you, we get all the
> rights", you can't do much but whine.  If it really ever became an issue,
> the original author -- or his copyright inheritor -- can re-release under
> the new license.

It is *already* out there under version 2.  Nobody will be *forced* to
reissue it under version 3.  If Microsoft did do what you say, it
would be no worse than if they took BSD code and put their own license
on it -- they can't take back the earlier license from people who
already received it.  It will not stop people distributing existing
versions, developing them further under GPL 2, and *not* putting GPL 3
on it.

Rahul.