Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:01:59 +0100
From:      Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@sicfa.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: differences between 2-STABLE, 3-STABLE and 4-STABLE

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:31:52AM -0800, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:22:01AM +0100, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've successfully installed FreeBSD-2.1.5 on a 486 SX 25 with 4 MB RAM
> > and 120 MB HD laptop.
> > I was wondering if an upgrade to FreeBSD 3-STABLE or 4-STABLE would be
> > interesting. What are the benefits ?
>
> Far, far too many to list.  2.1.5 came out 5 1/2 years ago.
>
> > Will it run faster, or has FreeBSD became bigger and bigger and slower
> > and slower during the last 5 years ?
>
> Unfortunately for you, I expect that you'll have problems fitting more
> modern versions in only 4MB (it likes to have at least 8MB).

I thought the only problem was to be able to make the kernel fit in only
4 MB ram. For the rest, I think swapping will do it.
Wouldn't a customised kernel do the trick, with 3-STABLE, maybe ?
I remember installing 3-STABLE on a 8 MB system, with a GENERIC kernel.

> > The upgrade is possible by mounting the /usr/src and /usr/obj via NFS.
> > I've already recompiled the kernel that way, so I know it works :)
>
> You won't be able to do a source-level upgrade from 2.1.5 to anything
> modern; it's not supported and won't work.  You also can't install
> using a binary snapshot with less than 12MB.

I suppose it's a compiler's version problem, since 2.1.5 used gcc 2.6.3.
Would a source upgrade like that work :
2.1.5 -> 2-STABLE
2-STABLE -> 3-STABLE <- possible stop here, since it would be a great
improvement ;)
3-STABLE -> 4-STABLE
with maybe intermediate steps at 3.0 and 4.0 if direct upgrades from
n-stable to (n+1)-stable doesn't work ?

Thanks for your help, Kris,

Lucas Nussbaum