Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:57:38 -0500
From:      "Jack Stone" <antennex@hotmail.com>
To:        antennex@hotmail.com, wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot delete stubborn files - New Hint

>From: "Jack Stone" <antennex@hotmail.com>
>To: wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Cannot delete stubborn files
>Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 14:52:01 -0500
>
>>From: Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
>>To: "Jack Stone" <antennex@hotmail.com>
>>CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>>Subject: Re: Cannot delete stubborn files
>>Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 14:40:22 -0400

>>permitted

>>would

>> > Chris: Tried that at the very first. No joy!
>>
>>If flags and permissions are all set so that the files should delete, and
>>they still don't, reboot the system into single user mode and fsck the
>>partition.
>>
>>I had this happen a number of years ago.  We had dirty power and the
>>system
>>would reboot on occasion during brownout.  We finally got UPS on the
>>system,
>>but months later we had files that wouldn't delete.  The only way we
>>finally
>>got rid of them was to reboot in single user and fsck.  I expect the disk
>>suffered some subtle corruption during an unclean boot and it took time
>>before we noticed.
>>
>>Another option would be to use fstat to make sure nothing has the files
>>open.
>>
>>HTH.
>>
>>--
>>Bill Moran
>>

>Hi, Bill: Yes, tried all of that before and again no joy -- very mysteries.
>A free cigar to anyone who solves this one!

Since I learned I could "mv" the directory that contains the 2 files, I
tried to move it to another partition, figuring I had a solution IF I could
only do that.

Here's the new error when I tried to move the directory from "/" to /usr

mv: /bin/rm: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status: Cross-device link

Does this new hint stike any bells?

THX
Jack