Date:      Sun, 26 Jun 2005 12:42:12 -0400
From:      Bob Perry <rperry@gti.net>
To:        jpeg@thilelli.net
Cc:        user@celeritystorm.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solution: Unable to decipher error "ELF binary type 3 not known"

On Tue, 2005-06-21 at 23:04 -0400, Bob Perry wrote:

> > > Have you installed linux_base-8 ? kernel module (linux.ko) loaded ?
> >
> > Forcing the reinstall of linux_base must solve this problem:
> >  # portupgrade -f linux_base
> >
> I ran portupgrade -f linux_base-8 successfully and then ran portupgrade
> -arR.  The system reports stale dependencies and suggest I manually run
> pkgdb -F to fix which I do.  The first line of output reads:
> 	Stale dependency: acroread-5.10_1,1 -> linux-expat-1.95.5_2
> 	(textproc/linux-expat):
> 	linux-fontconfig-2.1_2 (score:31%) ? ([y]es/[n]o/[a]ll)
>
> If I understand Michael Lucas' "Cleaning Up Ports", acroread has
> recorded linux-expat-1.95.5_2 as a dependency but linux-fontconfig-2.1_2
> is installed and it's asking if I want to have the entry in /var/db/pkg
> point to linux-fontconfig-2.1_2 as the correct dependency.  And the
> answer is, "Damned if I know."

As previously mentioned, I resolved the original error:
	ELF binary type "3" not known
by reinstalling linux_base-8 as recommended.  Not sure about this issue
but I will research further.  Thanks again.

The stale dependency issue was another story.  I discovered, through
comparing the dependency output from pkg_info -rR against the actual
list of dependency data that some of the dependent files were missing.
(I'm sure I must have deleted them inadvertently).  Once they were
identified and reinstalled everything was as it should have been.
I don't know if this is a bug in the program or just me.  At least now I
know my next steps when I see a stale dependency prompt requesting me to
choose between two apparently non-related packages.

Thanks again for the support.