Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2020 12:34:59 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@Be-Well.Ilk.Org>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problem with unbound resolving host

> FreeBSD 11.4-RELEASE-p1
>
> I have: local_unbound_enable="YES" in my /etc/rc.conf file. The problem
> is with some utility programs like "curl" or "wget"
>
> When using either program to assess "https://www.spamhaus.org" a failure
> message is emitted similar to the following:
>
> curl https://www.spamhaus.org
> curl: (6) Could not resolve host: www.spamhaus.org
>
> The "nameserver" is set to "127.0.0.1" when that occurs. If I modify it
> as shown below to "192.168.1.1" everything works fine.
>
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> options edns0

I'm sure that is in resolv.conf, but you should mention things like
that.

I'm also assuming that the machine you're trying this on actually has
the address 192.168.1.1. Otherwise, um, yes, that's what should happen.

Check if you're specifying "interface:" in your unbound.conf file. If
you do, you want to include 127.0.0.1 in the set you specify.  However,
unless you have a good reason, don't override it at all.

Be well.