Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 08:12:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@revelstone.jvm.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pine running wild

Every so often, I'll notice our server is working harder than usual.
I'll log in and find a copy of pine consuming 80-90% of the cpu time.  If
not caught, it will go on like this for hours.  The user is not logged
in, it may be caused when a user loses their intetnet connection.
However, I lose my connection all the time in pine and it never happens.
In fact, 95% of the time, it's the same user.

1) Why would this be isolated to a single user?  What's the real
underlying cause?

2) I'm thinking of writing a perl script to spot and kill these
processes.  However, how would I identify them?  Probably at any given
moment, a non-running-amok pine would use 80-90% of the cpu, perhaps I
could track that pine over 5-10 seconds and kill ones that continue at
this rate?

Cliff