Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2002 10:55:18 -0400
From:      freebsd <freebsd@epx.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about network layers in FreeBSD 4.x

I have a system I run FreeBSD 4.5-release on.  The purpose of this system is
to run Snort (IDS).

The current system is a Compaq Proliant 1850R, have also tried on a Compaq
Proliant 1600R.

Both systems are SMP with dual processors, > 256m ram, and Compaq Smart Array
controller to handle raid in hardware.

I want to use this box to monitor multiple lan segments.  So I use the
builtin tlan eth for mgmt, and than add other nics with no IP addresses for
snort to listen on.

This works great when I use distinct multiple NIC cards.  3com + Intel +
Realtek.

However, when I try to use a quad ethernet card, it fails.  The programs
don't bomb, no errors reported.  But there is amount of activity that doesn't
get picked up when using the quad cards vs. when using the multiple NICs
scenario.

For example, if someone in lan segment x.x.a.x connects to a *nix server in
x.x.b.x (both monitored by this box), and a suspicious event occurs I will
see it captured by both of the snort interfaces.  If, however, I put in the
quad card, and the same thing happens, it will only be seen/recorded by one
of the snort nic instances.

I have tried this with a Znyx ZX346Q and with an Adaptec quad card.  With the
Znyx I tried both the default freebsd drivers it sees that card as and also
with the Znyx drivers.  This seems to be a problem somewhere other than in
the NIC driver itself.

Any suggestions or insight into what might be wrong here would be greatly
appreciated.