Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:38:35 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        xphilius@yahoo.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best upgrade path from 4.1 Release to 4.4 Release, via CVsup if   possible

X Philius wrote:

> Kent,
> Cool. That makes sense. Binary upgrade, meaning to use sysinstall, right? Sorry if this was a
> redundant post, I have been scanning this group for a while (since last Nov.), but I did not
> honestly search the archive before posting this. And thanks for the security tip, I *think* I am
> running a pretty tight box; only SSH access to the box, passwords for all members of wheel are
> *'ed out, I'm using IPFW to block out all those mysterious ports that I don't understand, and a
> high Kernel security level. However, I am itching to get upgraded and start following the security
> patches more closely, I know I am pushing it running 4.1 Release, thus my attempt to upgrade via
> source instead of taking the easy way out. I'll try upgrading my junk machine to 4.2 and then up
> to 4.4 and see how that goes. You've been most helpful.

Let me know if the 4.1>4.2r>4.4r works.

Usually, you boot from the floppies and do the upgrade from there. It
uses sysinstall. I don't know of a way to do it from the normal
/stand/sysinstall. You have too many processes running in real time and
I wouldn't trust it to begin with.

kent

--
Kent Stewart