Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:03:37 -0500
From:      Sean Welch <Sean_Welch@alum.wofford.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PearPC and networking

To answer my own questions:

To use networking you'll need to enable one of the two network
interfaces listed in the configuration files.  Both work under
FreeBSD (I haven't tried both at the same time) but the 3Com version
needs a special driver for the Mac OS X client to use (available on
the pearpc site) and seems to spit out quite a lot of messages to
the console.  The RealTek card has an integrated driver in OS X and
works quite nicely under FreeBSD.  I'm not sure why the pearpc site
says that you have to use the 3Com with a Linux host (I would have
imagined any constraints would apply to FreeBSD, though the site
does specify the RealTek card for use under an OS X host and it does
share a lot of userland with FreeBSD...).

The other half of what you need to know is that the host interface
to the client is through the tap device.  On my system it is the
only one so a tap0 interface appears in the output of ifconfig after
I start pearpc.  You'll have to run pearpc as root in order for the
program to control this interface.  Just configure the tap interface
with an ip and netmask and then when the client is up configure its
emulated card with an ip on the same subnet with the same netmask.
Set the gateway on the client to be the ip of the tap interface and
you are ready to go.  I've set up my host to be a gateway so the
client can get to the 'Net without any issues (though for some
reason Software Update under Mac OS X insists that the server is not
available -- maybe I'm not forwarding some udp packets or
something?)  I suppose you probably could bridge the tap interface
and another interface and get access that way...

One thing I've noticed.  The pearpc program creates a file called nvram
for use while running.  Several times I've started up the program
only to find that my mouse buttons and keyboard act all wrong in the
client.  I have found that this doesn't seem to be happening anymore
when I remove the old file before (re)starting the program.  I'm
guessing that the file may not be completely reinit'd if it exists
at program start.  I seem to recall a similar problem with bochs.

Hope this helps someone else!  Now I've got FreeBSD (host), Linux
(vmware), Win2K (vmware), and Mac OS X (pearpc) all running at the
same time and networked together *on the same machine*.  It is great
being able to do cross-platform programming and network testing with
only one, portable machine!

Sean