Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 06:32:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
To:        George Vagner <vagner@ti.com>
Cc:        Scott Mitchell <s.mitchell@computer.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ie driver flakes out in 2.2.5

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, George Vagner wrote:

> I have the same problem, i am glad someone figured out how to fix it.
>

> At 11:50 AM 1/20/98 +0000, you wrote:
> >Dear all,
> >
> >Finally got around to upgrading to 2.2.5 (from 2.2.2) over the
> >weekend.  Everything seems to be fine *except* that my Intel
> >EtherExpress 16 (on ie0) has suddenly stopped working.  It appears to
> >be transmitting OK -- if I ping the Win95 box on the other end of the
> >wire, the transmit light on the Win95 NIC blinks, so I guess it is
> >sending back the echo response.  But it never makes it back to the
> >BSD box.  Likewise pinging from Win95->FreeBSD shows packets going
> >out, but nothing ever comes back.  A tcpdump on ie0 backs this up:
> >outgoing packets are logged, but nothing ever comes in.
> >
> >So I boot into DOS, run the Intel diagnostics, everything comes back
> >clean.  Then I think, maybe it's in my kernel config, so I boot the
> >2.2.5 GENERIC kernel from the CD.  Still no luck.  On a hunch, I
> >fired up the 2.2.2 GENERIC kernel, et voila!  Everyone can ping each
> >other again.  Very peculiar.
> >
> >Diff shows quite a few changes in /sys/i386/isa/if_ie.c between 2.2.2
> >and 2.2.5.  I built another kernel with the 2.2.2 if_ie.c, and things
> >seem to be working again, perhaps a little slower than before.
> >
> >Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I couldn't find any
> >mention of it in the mailing list or PR archives.  If there is an
> >easy fix (other than what I have already done) then fine, but this
> >board is gone as soon as I get my loaned-out SMC card back, so I
> >don't really want to get into the source myself.
> >
> >Haven't submitted a PR on this yet, but will do so if I don't get any
> >positive responses.
> >
> >Many TIA,
> >
> >	Scott
> >

> Laszlo Vagner
> Texas Instruments
> Email:vagner@NOSPAM.ti.com
> Pg. 598-5217
> Wk. 995-4297

I also had this problem, and used the same fix.  Upgrade to stable, and
the sources seem to work once more. I have had very good luck with
2.2-971214-SNAP (no longer available), and I am currently on
2.2-980101-SNAP (though I haven't booted that kernel yet).
Jonathan Fosburgh, wotan@scientist.com , University of Houston Geophysics
http://www.geocities.com/vienna/1498

FreeBSD: Turning PCs into Workstations
http://www.freebsd.org
                     We shall not cease from exploration,
                And the end of our exploring shall be to arrive
            Where we started from, and know the place for the first time.
                       --T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets