Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2004 06:19:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Ben H." <strbenjr@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   sound between BETA4 and 5.3-BETA5

FYI...

Regarding the message below...
When I CVSUPed to 5.3-beta5 [FIVE]...

                ... all my sound output stopped working!

  KDE wouldn't make sound
  Audacity wouldn't output
  XMMS got an error related to output

I performed a port upgrade last night as described in the
article below and now all sound seems to work fine.

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Hope this is useful.

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:40:38 +0900
   From: Pyun YongHyeon <yongari@kt-is.co.kr>
Subject: Re: Maestro3 and 5.3-beta5

Since it worked before, it sounds like DMA buffer
allocation issue.

Can you try attached patch? It doesn't fix your
issue but it checks return code correctly and we
can know whether DMA buffer allocation
was successful or not.

If DMA buffer allocation was successful I have
no idea. If you see DMA buffer allocation failure
you probably can workaround the issue like this:

        Step 1. Make static kernel with your sound drivers.

        Step 2. add vm.old_contigmalloc=1 in
/etc/sysctl.conf

If you needed step2, maestro3 driver needs
rewriting for its memory management code.

Cheers,
Pyun YongHyeon
--
Pyun YongHyeon <http://www.kr.freebsd.org/~yongari>;