Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:01:24 +0100
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@sleepycat.ukpeople.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   PNP'ify ep driver

All,
while trying to track down a problem in my -current box that only allows me to
use the network if I remove the sound card first I came across the problem
of the 3c5x9 in that box 'pretending' to be set to different values than
those reported by the PNP BIOS. Of course having the ep network driver waiting
for an interrupt from the sound card so it can go about retrieving data from
the network card didn't really help performance. Doh.
Adding the PNP probing support to the driver proved to be very simple. Hats
off to the person who did the PNP support - it was really easy.
However when I set about writing the pnp attached function it turns out that
the card is still reporting its preferred settings (I/O 0x320/IRQ 10) instead
of the PNP ones, so I figure that I actually must go about and convince the
card that the driver knows better (i.e. reconfigure it).
So, three questions:
- Anyone knows where I can get the programmer documentation for the card?
  3Com, presumably, but the last time I pestered them for docs they weren't
  exactly helpful.
- Is it permissible at all for the driver to reconfigure the card (hey,
  it is for a good cause :-) or is this a strict no-no?
- I only have systems with one of these cards in them. Provided I get this
  stuff sorted, any volunteer with more than one Etherlink III in their
  systems so they can test that I didn't break anything?

Oh, and I know that these cards are not exactly the mutt's nuts. But it is
hard to beat UKP 10 / card for a used network card over here. Especially if
you don't want el cheapo dodgy NE200 clones, that is.

Regards,

Timo