Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2015 01:29:02 +0300
From:      Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Mike Karels <mike@karels.net>, "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding new media types to if_media.h

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 02:17:44PM -0800, Jack Vogel wrote:
J> So we have products coming soon that need to extend the media, if you have
J> grandiose plans in the future you can worry about things then, Linux can
J> handle the extended media TODAY, wouldn't it be nice to do so as well?

I didn't suggest to wait, did I?

J> Also, this solution is something that can be MFC'd into 10 STABLE,
J> if you do something big in the 11 stream I will be that wont be possible,
J> so I'd say lets do this as a first step.

That would mean that new SIOCXGIFMEDIA needs to be supported from now and
forever, still using the old structure and still limited to 62 types.

Alternative is:

In head:
  - new if_media, new value for SIOCGIFMEDIA, old API preserved via
    keeping oif_media, OSIOCGIFMEDIA, keeping it contained under
    ifdef BURN_BRIDGES. With a possibility to remove it some foreseable
    future.

Merging to stable/10:
  - new if_media by the name of nif_media, new SIOCGIFMEDIA by name of
    NSIOCGIFMEDIA
  - old API untouched

This way we still are able to introduce new feature to stable/10. But
the ugly compat code is put into the branch with limited lifetime,
instead of carrying it to future.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.