Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 95 16:27:00 PST
From:      Plyaskin Sergey <splyaski@cmp.com>
To:        Andreas Schulz <ats@g386bsd.first.gmd.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Adaptec 1740 problem

 ----------
From: Andreas Schulz
To: splyaski
Cc: freebsd-questions
Date: Thursday, January 19, 1995 8:04PM

> Now, I have problems installing FreeBSD on a Mitac 486DX33 PC with EISA
bus.
> It has EISA Adaptec 1740 SCSI host adapter and 2 SCSI hard disks. Under
DOS,
> everything worked fine. I decided to get rid of DOS and install FreeBSD. I

> deleted all patitions on the disks using fdisk and started installation.
> When starting the computer, I get a message indicating that both HDs are
> detected:
>
> SCSI ID0 Installed
> SCSI ID1 Installed
>
> however, FreeBSD finds only the adapter but not the disks. I tried both

>From which manufacturer are the disks ? I have only seen one problem
so far with the 1742. It seems to have troubles under FreeBSD if the
disks are slow speed ( <= 5Mb sync) disks. Under DOS the speed you
set up with the EISA config are honored. But i suspect the driver
under FreeBSD doesn't care about that.

          ATS ( ats@first.gmd.de or ats@cs.tu-berlin.de )

Andreas Schulz  GMD-FIRST     12489  Berlin-Adlershof  Rudower Chaussee 5
Gebaeude 13.7   Tel: +49-30-6392-1856/+49-177-2134745    Germany/Europe

Both disks are Seagate-made: one is the ancient ST4767N and the second is
ST41200N. I tried using each of them separately and two together.
I have to check what happens if I change the transfer rate (currently set to
5MB/s). Thanks for the hint. BTW, what rate do you use?

Serge