Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2012 07:36:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Lynn Steven Killingsworth <blue.seahorse.syndicate@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error in latest KDE4 install attempt

> At 12a Tuesday (6/19) I decided to try installing KDE4 again.  When I tried
> to change directory to /x11/kde4 the directory did not exist.  I decided to

because it does not exist. /usr/ports/x11/kde4 exist.

> try to install from my FreeBSD 9 disk at this point.  In about 10 sec the
> install told me that it was unable to install 'qt4-svg-4.7.4'

what was a message?

> I then decided to update my ports collection with portsnap.  When the fetch
> command was downloading the 4 updated metapackages I twice received this
> error [snapshot is corrupt gnuzip (stdin)]

isn't something (ftp/http proxy) on route corrupting data? i NEVER got
such a message.

rm -rf /var/db/portsnap
and portsnap fetch

check if you will get corruption. if so - something must be wrong within
your network enviromnent.