Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 2015 11:29:28 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: WITHOUT_OPENSSL and make delete-old

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 7:03 AM, Matt Smith <fbsd@xtaz.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi, I use the ports version of OpenSSL for everything and don't require
> the base version. As a result I thought I would remove it by adding
> WITHOUT_OPENSSL into /etc/src.conf and running make delete-old in /usr/src.
> However this seems to only want to delete things related to kerberos and
> gssapi, which is understandable as they depend on OpenSSL.  However it
> doesn't seem to touch any OpenSSL files at all. Is this a bug or have I
> missed something?
>

> --
> Matt

Yes. Several critical base system components require the base OpenSL. So, I
seem to recall that while WITHOUT_OPENSSL will skip the optional SSL stuff,
I am pretty sure that some of the OpenSSL always are built and are
considered too critical to rely on a port being installed... like logging
in, adding users, etc.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com