Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:18:55 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NVidia - Games

Pierrick Brossin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was wondering if the guy who reported to thirteenandtwo that Half-Life was
> working with the NVidia drivers is on this list ?
>
> I think it could be appreciable if people that makes a game work on FreeBSD and
> report it, make a howto to help other people to get it running.
>
> Actually I encountered two problems, Half-Life tells me "OpenGL mode not
> supported by your graphic card" and Quake3 tells a problem with OpenGL or "can't
> find default.cfg".

You need to copy (or symlink) the pk3 files off of the full version
CD-ROM for
Quake3 to work.  The above error usually indicates you havn't installed
Quake3 correctly.  Also, make sure you have the linuxulator installed.

One more thing: I always have to copy the openGL libraries into Quake's
directory
for some reason.  For NVidia, these will be in /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib
and are called:
libGL.so.1.0.3203 and
libGLcore.so.1.0.3203
Create symlinks for libGL.so, libGL.so.1, libGLcore.so, and
libGLcore.so.1

Finally, make sure you have $__GL_SINGLE_THREADED set to 1 or Quake will
crash when you try to start it.  (Oddly, Return to Castle Wolfenstein
had
no such problem).

If you didn't have the Linuxulator installed when you did the make setup
in the NVidia driver, install the Linuxulator from the ports and rerun
make setup in the Nvidia directory.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer