Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 15:37:05 +0100
From:      Benjamin Lutz <benlutz@datacomm.ch>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   OPTIONS and WITH/WITHOUT variables

--nextPart1622897.doleqkYN3Z

Hello,

Section 5.11.2.2, Syntax of the Porter's Handbook says:

| OPTIONS definition must appear before the inclusion of bsd.port.pre.mk. T=
he
| WITH_* and WITHOUT_* variables can only be tested after the inclusion of
| bsd.port.pre.mk. Due to a deficiency in the infrastructure, you can only
| test WITH_* variables for options, which are OFF by default, and WITHOUT_*
| variables for options, which defaults to ON.  =20

However I noticed that for variables that default to on, a WITH_* variable =
is=20
defined. In fact the corresponding comment in bsd.port.mk does not mention=
=20
WITHOUT_* at all. And looking at the actual OPTIONS parsing code in=20
bsd.port.mk, starting at line 1135 of the current revision, I notice that i=
t=20
seems to be exactly the other way round than described in the Porter's=20
Handbook (although I'm not sure I'm reading that correctly).

Can someone clarify this for me?

Cheers
Benjamin