Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:12:03 +0000
From:      "Philip M. Gollucci" <pgollucci@p6m7g8.com>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@freebsd.org>
Cc:        perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change default perl version to 5.10.1

Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to update our default perl installation to
> lang/perl5.10.  But we are approaching 7.3-RELEASE, we should not so
> hurry.
>
> (1) Submit a patch to change default version to 5.10.1 to portmgr@ to
>     run -exp build.
> (2) With these logs, fix problems as much as we can.  Minor fixes
>     should be committed (with feature safe tag).
> (3) After 7.3-REL released, commit changes switching to 5.10.1.

The patch is incomplete, you need to edit bsd.port.mk too.
I think a few prerequisites first thought:
   o) finish the Mk/bsd.perl.mk so its *conditionally* included
   o) the list of dual lifed modules is not the same for lang/perl5.8
      lang/perl5.10.  We should get that list and do a sweep, lots
      of .if constructs will need to be inverted to cover people
      that wish to stay on lang/perl5.8

Of course, I think think moving the default is a good idea and overdue.

VP Apache Infrastructure; Member, Apache Software Foundation
Committer,                        FreeBSD Foundation
Consultant,                       P6M7G8 Inc.
Sr. System Admin,                 Ridecharge Inc.

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.