Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2010 20:10:42 -0800
From:      johnea <me@johnea.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: building from source after freebsd-update

On 2010-03-13 19:58, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> freebsd-update provides a binary update mechanism.
>
> It doesn't do anything to update the source files; if you choose to rebuild from source, use cvsup/csup/svn; you will normally get a -STABLE system from the build cycle, and not a -RELEASE system, but that depends upon which branch you are tracking.

I guess I was lead to believe that it updated the source from this entry in the handbook:

"The default is to update the source code, the entire base system, and the kernel."

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

I've also seem other references indicate that the source downloaded by freebsd-update
could be patched and installed.

Am I completely off?

Thanks for helping clear this up...

johnea