Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 03:50:38 -0700
From:      "David P. Reese Jr." <daver@gomerbud.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002 03:30:47 -0700, Bill Huey wrote
>I understand somebody has got the 2d side of this working in FreeBSD,
>but the 3d stuff crashes still.

The 2d stuff works great on my geforce2.  The best part is the XVideo
extensions.  My last card was a Voodoo3 2000.  I cant even begin to tell
you how much better DVD's play with this card.  The drivers are availible
at

ftp://ftp.jurai.net/users/winter/nvidia/

Support for 3d is still a bit off, but Matt seems to be optomistic due to
his recent news post at

http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/news.html

True 3d support is exciting.  Using the provided drivers from nVidia (hacked
to hell, of course), you should get true OpenGL 1.3 support.  Thanks SGI.

The current drivers are based off of rather old linux drivers.  I think they
are from the beginning of the year.  No support for the geforce4 yet, but
the fact that 2d works and seems to work well leads me to believe that
the number of people using nvidia cards under FreeBSD should be increasing.
A larger user base means that nvidia should be willing to pay more attention
to us.

--

   David P. Reese Jr.                                      daver@gomerbud.com
      You shoot yourself in the foot.