Date:      Tue, 09 Apr 1996 08:09:19 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        alk@Think.COM
Cc:        peter@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestion for lib/libc/i386/DEFS.h

Tony Kimball <alk@Think.COM> wrote:

> It would be nice if the as macros would work with ANSI cpp, as for
> example:
>
> #ifndef __concat
> #ifdef __STDC__
> #define __CONCAT(a,b) a##b
> #define __concat(a,b) __CONCAT(a,b)
> #else /* ! __STDC__ */
> #define __concat(a,b) a/**/b
> #endif /* __STDC__ */
> #endif /* def __concat */

Changes along these lines are in fact going into -current Real Soon
Now.  I made the changes locally some time ago, in connection with
ELF support.  Peter Wemm has since then modified my changes so that
they can be merged into -current.  He's also incorporated a few
suggestions from Bruce Evans, one of which was to use the __CONCAT
macro already defined in <sys/cdefs.h>.  (That one _does_ work with
an ANSI cpp.)  I think Peter plans to commit this stuff, when he gets
around to it.