Date:      Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:21:05 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org>
Subject:   Re: greetings from FreeBSD DLL Hell!

On Wednesday 23 March 2005 17:16, "N.J. Thomas" <njt@ayvali.org> wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE and was installing packages via
> "pkg_add -r foo". This worked, but it went and downloaded older
> versions of various programs (i.e. Mozilla Firefox 0.9). How can I
> tell pkg_add to use the "5-latest" (5-STABLE? RELENG_5_3?) branch? Do
> I have to update my sources before I can do this?

Packages are built to work with the particular release specified. Once=20
ports are unfrozen, right before release, they start changing again,=20
and updating new packages for all ports for every minor version bump in=20
the tree is not viable at the moment (12000+ ports), AFAIK, nor would=20
it be in line with freezing ports before release.

> So after I installed 5.3 yesterday I installed some packages with
> pkg_add -r (which used the 5.3-RELEASE versions of the software), and
> then installed some other stuff with ports, and then updated ports
> with cvsup and then installed yet some more stuff, and now I seem to
> find myself in the FreeBSD equivalent of "DLL Hell". Should I just
> blow my system away and start from scratch? Is that the best course
> of action to take at this point?

You don't need to reinstall the OS, but it might be simpler for you if=20
you deleted all the packages, with pkg_delete -a (from root). From=20
there you can install cvsup and other essentials, but you might=20
consider running /bin/sysinstall to reinstall the packages you once=20
had, just so you're not running blind.

=46rom there, you can run cvsup and update your ports tree. In some=20
instances, you can still upgrade to a package, but in others you can't.=20
I find it simpler to build everything on my machine, but I prefer to=20
track ports changes. If you're running a server you don't really want=20
to track ports all the time, just track security updates, otherwise=20
you're going to take it down a lot to upgrade, but if you're running a=20
desktop it can be useful, depending. Sometimes you don't really need to=20
update from the packages on the install CD, but obviously Firefox does=20
need to be updated from 0.9 for security reasons. So, you're going to=20
end up installing some packages and building others, which can lead to=20
some interesting problems, but it's workable. It might be easier to=20
build all from ports, but that's up to you and your CPU cycles. Either=20
way, a utility caleld portupgrade will solve most of your dependency=20
problems for you.

Here's a good tutorial on how to use cvsup and portupgrade:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

Also, I highly recommend reading the handbook:=20
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

You don't have to read all of it, but you probably want to read what is=20
relevant to your configuration. It's great documentation, and it can=20
help answer many of your questions as situations arise. If you don't=20
find the answer there or from searching the list archives (Google can=20
be useful, too), then come to the list and ask. This question has been=20
asked and answered many times on this list, but I didn't want to leave=20
you hanging ;)

=2D jt