Date:      Sat, 8 Mar 2003 14:27:19 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, akruijff@dds.nl
Cc:        scott mcclellan <scottmcclellan@starband.net>, "'Nigel Soon'" <ns@sundive.homeunix.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A huge THANK YOU!!!!!

On Saturday 08 March 2003 07:01 am, Bill Moran wrote:
> akruijff@dds.nl wrote:
> > Citeren Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>:
> >>
> >>Unfortunately, I think this is one of those things that it's just
> >>_assumed_ that everybody knows.  I've never seen a good
> >> explanation, anywhere of what an iso is and how it should be
> >> handled.
> >
> > If you mean making your own iso image then have a look at "Making
> > Customized Bootable FreeBSD CD/Floppies". As to buring it. I use
> > the same approce as the author of this. I use a Windows computer.
> > :o
>
> That's my point.  If you want to know how to create your own CDs and
> build bootable CDs and things like that, there are articles
> everywhere. However, if you're _very_ new and just want to burn an
> iso that you've downloaded, there's no basic introduction to what
> you're doing and how to go about it.

I'm not sure what is missing here. All of the cdburners that I am aware
of have the ability to burn iso's. I went through one time and listed
where the capability was found on the Windows based ones that I had
used. I have standardized on Nero 5.5 and finding how to burn an iso
image with Nero is one of the more dificult. You almost have to read
the FAQ on their web page. On the rest of the Windows burners, you can
almost double click the *.iso file and it will bring your CD-ROM burner
program up in the burn-image mode.

The man page for burncd in the examples at the bottom tells you that the
file written to a data CD is an iso image. It even points you to
mkisofs, which is used to make the iso image.

> I need to do some writing.

One part that I found to be lite was what an iso image was. It is like
most of the other extensions on computers. You either recognize them or
you have problems. So, where would you write something that would
bootstrap new users to where they understand this new extension. The
terms ISO9660, Joliet, Rock Ridge, and etc also don't mean much to most
people. They are also going to see things like ".c", ".o", and etc. but
we don't tell them what they are for.

You almost need a FAQ version of a book like "Computer File Extensions
for Dummies". Some people I know have problems buying one of these
Dummy books but they are about the only book series I know of that will
take a newbie to where they can understand the terminology of the
subject. Then, they can read a more technical book.

Kent
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA