Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 11:25:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>, freebsd@atipa.com (Atipa), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why we should support Microsoft...

> I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Indeed. :)

> Simple. IBM handed its near-monopoly to Microsoft, which has in turn
> perpetuated and extended it via unethical and illegal business practices.

Far too simplistic.  People have been handed staggering inheiritances
before, and far more directly, and blown them quite handily.  It takes
a bit more than sheer luck to occupy a postition where everyone else
is sniping at you and would love to have a piece (if not all) of your
revenues.  Remember something called VisiCalc for Visi Corp?  In the
80's, there was a time when they could do no wrong and had plenty of
cash coming out of that cow.  Then they failed to follow on with their
next trick and we all know what their competition did to them after
that.  Microsoft could have stumbled and gone down for the count any
number of times, but they kept bouncing back with more marketable
ideas (which were also well marketed - a crucial distinction) and it's
really _that_ which has perpetuated Microsoft.

Sure, they've also acted like total sharks and probably committed more
than one illegal (to say nothing of "unethical") act in getting to
where they are today, but I don't see anything particularly damning or
even new about that.  You think IT firms like Honeywell and GTE get
all those fat military contracts by being just really swell companies
which the government happens to like?  Hardly.  We just focus on
Microsoft's larceny a lot more because of their position in the
consumer's eye.  Most folks could give a fig about who builds our air
defense computers or writes software to process election results in
Brazil, so all the nasty briberly/strongarm tactics with procurement
in those markets go largely unnoticed.  Welcome to capitalism.

> What you mean "us," white man?

Us.  Us, the people who were around in the late 70's and 80's and
fought in the Unix / UI wars which spent so much of our energies
arguing things like OpenLook vs Motif while Billy was busily banging
out interfaces for the rest of humanity.  Unless you yourself were
frozen and in a state of suspended animation during this time then you
were either just as misguided/apathetic as the rest of us or you were
totally ineffective at communicating and directing a more enlightened
approach to dealing with this problem - I'll let you take your pick of
sins. :-)

> Also, it's not true that Bill made fewer mistakes than anyone else.
> Microsoft has had DOZENS of "flops." For most companies, especially

Perhaps I should have phrased that differently: "Fewer strategic
mistakes."  He made plenty of tactical ones, yes, but his overall
strategy would appear to have been consistently sound or he wouldn't
be where he is today.  Again, it's not all just luck as some of his
more sour-grapes detractors would have us believe.  It took some sort
of overall vision to continue to pound on Windows and take a number of
risks in essentially _forcing_ the user base to adopt to it.  Doesn't
anyone remember all the industry naysayers predicting that Windows
would be Microsoft's Waterloo?  That DOS was simply too powerful and
did everything the novice user might possibly want to do anyway,
making Windows a solution in search of a problem and a sure-fire flop?
Well, as history now shows, M$ stuck with it despite considerable
adverse publicity and several initial versions which didn't even work
and they kept pushing until everyone suddenly woke up one day and said
"Windows!  What a fine idea!  We'll have some of that!"  Luck?  I
don't think so.  I see it as tenacious pursuit of something which was
rightly pegged as the next necessary bit of enabling technology for
mass-market acceptance, and something which takes a lot more will than
luck.

Of course, we Unix-heads all pooh-poohed the value of this at the time
and pointed to our much more elegant X Window System solution as the
answer to everything and, of course, we got our fannies whacked but
good - we'd totally missed the point.  I also see a similar danger
with the server, to be honest.  We've sort of retreated on the desktop
front and grudgingly admitted that maybe Windows has the desktop now
but we have the SERVER, dammit, and that still makes us #1!  Don't kid
yourselves.  Without any sort of overall strategy, and strategy has
always been somewhat lacking in the Unix world, any initial advantage
swiftly erodes in the face of an enemy who _does_ have a strategy and
is constantly maneuvering for a better position which will allow him
to nullify your advantage and use his own strength in a follow-up move
which overwhelms your defenses.  NT is taking a lot of heat over its
lack of remote management capabilities and general instability, but
getting complacent about this is the last thing we need to do.

Whether M$ got to where it is today purely on the strength of a single
"cash cow" is also more or less irrelevant since that's most certainly
not the case today.  Today's enemy is far more versatile and has shown
itself, as it did with IE, able to react far more quickly than anyone
would have given such a large entity credit for.  I have a very
healthy respect for Microsoft as a competitor, whatever I might think
about the technical quality of its products.

- Jordan