Date:      Sat, 3 Feb 2001 10:30:22 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        "Christopher W. Aiken" <cwaiken@telerama.com>, Kaban <maksymko@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: problems with mounting FAT partitions...

On Saturday February 03, 2001 08:27, Christopher W. Aiken wrote:
> ->Hi, everybody!
> ->
> ->Thanks for help with a previous problem (now i'm downloading
> XFree86 ->4.0.2). But i'm downloading it under Windows'98 and storing
> the files ->on the additional FAT (non FAT32) partition.
> ->
> ->My friend told me i can mount this partition in FreeBSD. He's gone
> ->now and only you can help me...
> ->
> ->Please, tell me the way to do it...
> ->
> ->Thanks a lot!
>
> I believe the GENERIC kernel does NOT have ext2fs support.
> Build a new kernel with the ext2fs support.  Use GENERIC
> and LINT for correct options.

Uh, ext2fs is the linux filesystem and he doesn' need that.  Yes if the
FAT partition is a primary partition you can mount it under FreeBSD
with the mount_msdos command.   You have to know what slice (it's
FreeBSD's name for the disk partition) the FAT is on.   For example if
the FAT is the first disk partition, you could mount it in FreeBSD with

# mount_msdos /dev/ad0s1 /mnt

If it's on the second disk partition it would be ad0s2.  Also change
the name of your harddrive to what is appropriate.
Now if it is an extended FAT partition, it could be a lot more
difficult.  I think you can still mount those, but I don't know if it
is the same.

					Tim