Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 1995 01:12:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Lars Fredriksen" <fredriks@mcs.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ordering of isa_devtab_tty important?

Hi,
	Just upgraded my current kernel on Friday(Oct 20), and found
that the kernel I produced would no longer boot. I have been using the
same config file for about a year now, so I didn't figure that had
something to do with it(suspected a bad source tree on my end). However,
when I managed to boot a GENERIC kernel build from the same source tree
I figured that there had to be something with my config file that caused
the problem.

What I found was that I had configured the mse device on the line above
the sc device which in turn made the mse device the first entry in the
isa_devtab_tty[] table. When I switched the two lines, the kernel came
up just fine.

So the question is what is the NEW assumption made about the first
isa_devtab_tty[] entry. I figure it might have something to do with
the serial console stuff(I don't have it enabled). I'll keep looking
to see if I can't pinpoint the problem further.

Also in light of what I experienced it would seem wise (if this has
something to do with the console selection stuff, that the lpt and mse
devices no longer be tty types.

Just for your information. The symptom of my non-booting kernel was that
as soon as the cart-wheel stopped spinning, my modem lights would indicate
TX/RX, my floppy would start to twirl and the hard drives would be accessed
a couple of times. Some time the screen would go black and the come back
as it normally does, however you never saw the version[] getting printed
nor any of the device probe messages.

Lars
Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)