Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 13:06:26 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        ran@styx.aic.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: olwm

> > I have the following problem:
> > olwm will not run normal.
> > When I run X in 8bit/pixel mode, everything is OK,
> > but when I start X as bpp 16 olwm will switch to monochrom mode.
>
> olwm doesn't support 16 bit mode then.  There are several apps that don't
> like 16 bit mode (vic, for instance); it's not uncommon.

I don't think this has anything to do with olwm.

I have a S3 86C716 SDAC, for which the driver is allegedly capable of
24-bit colour, but I can only get 8-bit mode, regardless of which
window manager I use.

I seem to remember reading something about this being corrected in the
latest XFree drivers - can anyone else confirm this?

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk