Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:06:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Greg=20Quinlan?= <gwq_uk@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with DNS

Hi all,

I have a problem with a particuler server that is
acting as a backup DNS.

It will not respond to queries on the loop back ip
address of "127.0.0.1"

It is completely a backup DNS, with no "master"
domains except the zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" ..

The /etc/resolv.conf :

nameserver 127.0.0.1
domain mydomain.com

But when I change the IP address in this file from
"127.0.0.1" to "10.1.1.1" (the local IP for a NIC) DNS
works perfectly.

The /etc/namedb/named.0.0.127.rev file does appears to
be fine with an entry for "localhost" ie

1	IN PTR localhost.

The /etc/namedb/named.conf file has the appropriate
lines:

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "named.0.0.127.rev";
};

When I try to do:

# nslookup 127.0.0.1

I get:

Server: dns0.mydomain.com
Address: 10.1.1.1

Name: localhost
Address: 127.0.0.1

The problem I have is if I set the "nameserver" line
in the /etc/resolv.conf to "127.0.0.1" DNS does not
respond anymore... this is very strange!!

Has anyone go any ideas???

Regards

Greg