Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2005 15:47:53 +0000
From:      nbco <nbco@screaming.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, BSD Mail <bsdmail@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: couldn't start KDE.

On Thursday 03 February 2005 09:04, BSD Mail wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:48:13 -0800, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 February 2005 11:28 pm, BSD Mail wrote:
<snip>
> > Did you see the error message about /tmp/.ICE-unix. Check the
> > ownership.
> >
> > Kent
>
> Sorry I forgot to mention that this is the second thing I tried
> actually. I noticed the permissions for 3 other directory and the
> .ICE-unix under /'tmp as root:wheel I ran chown -R user:user on them
> it got rid of most the errors but still, I was getting an error about
> that .ICE-unix directory. the third thing I did is I rm -rf
> everything under /tmp and started kde again. Less errors and still
> showing the .ICE-unix error and my previous attachment was the least
> error I was able to get.
<snip>

Hi,
In relaton to the .ICE_unix directory, UPDATING deals with it in part
(see below).   I like having clear_tmp_enable="YES" so to avoid this
problem, I created the directory /etc/rc.local with the following line:

mkdir -p -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix

This means that I can still clear out my tmp directories automatically
on reboot and maintain the ICE-unix permissions.
I hope this helps
.nbco

20041229:
AFFECTS: users of x11/kdebase3, x11-servers/xorg-server
AUTHOR: lofi@freebsd.org
If KDE does not start anymore after upgrading Xorg to version 6.8.1
(X restarts when the KDE splash screen has reached the third icon),
please check whether the directory /tmp/.ICE-unix exists, is owned by
root and has permissions 1777 (read/write/access for everybody + sticky
bit).

To make sure everything is in working order, do (as root):
mkdir -p /tmp/.ICE-unix && chmod 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix &&
chown root:wheel /tmp/.ICE-unix

Also, make sure you do NOT have clear_tmp_enable="YES" set
in /etc/rc.conf,
as it will remove the directory on every reboot and applications will
re-create it with the wrong ownership.

Users of daily_clean_tmps_enable in /etc/periodic.conf should make sure
daily_clean_tmps_ignore contains /tmp/.ICE-unix.