Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 06:43:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird syscons keyboard behaviour

I've noticed some odd syscons keyboard behaviour over the past
month or so.  Sometimes I get a vty that outputs PC graphics characters
for all of my input.  This is always at a "login:" prompt.  I think
I can duplicate this by typing a bunch of garbage at a login prompt,
but I don't feel like trying to test it right now and have to
reboot my main machine.

I just saw this again after a clean boot with a 24 hour old kernel.
(built 07:00 a.m. 9/16/99 CST from a few hour old CVSup).
The boot went fine, but when I started typing at the login prompt,
all I got was garbage.  I couldn't switch vty's or anything.
I just gave up and hit the big red button.  After the reboot,
everything was fine.

I think this might be some kind of timing problem.  I was starting
to type in my username right away when I saw the boot was finishing,
and if I recall the past incidents correctly, I may have been
doing the same thing.

I've seen this probably 4 or 5 times in the past month, maybe
6 weeks.  Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

This is a Compaq AMD K6-2/400 machine.  PS/2 style keyboard input
to the motherboard.  I'll be glad to supply any further details.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard
mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net