Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:49:18 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Cc:        Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mail/imaptools: port removal at Monday April 9th

Hi,
Mark Linimon wrote:
> On 9 April 2012 17:49, Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> wrote:
> >> portmgr's policy is to honor removal requests, no matter the circumstances.
> > ................................................ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > Irresponsible.  Real 'Managers' shoulder responsibility.  So ...
>
> Real managers get paid.
>
> Real managers get paid by companies.
>
> Real managers get paid by companies with legal departments who will
> defend them from frivolous lawsuits, and pay them during the period
> of time while the frivolous lawsuit works its way through the US court
> system.
>
> I have given thousands of hours of free work to this project.  I'm
> damned sure not going to incur any legal liability on top of that,
> even if due to someone wanting to take an unreasonable position.

OK

> Perhaps the legal system in Germany is less broken than the US.  I
> certainly hope so.

I believe Britain (& maybe Germany) have a lower percentage of lawyers than USA.

> But until you sit in my seat, and have been threatened with lawsuits
> in the past for equally unreasonable situations, you simply don't
> know what you're talking about.

"Been there, Done that, Got the T shirt" ;-)

  I've been personaly legaly threatened even just managing a company's
  law suit against a Canadian debtor.

	Learnt: Their game: intimidation, their message:
	"Our lawyer is richer than your lawyer"

  I've sued (& won) for debt:
	Learnt: Even trivial law cases can take Years.

  I've helped head a club with events with risk to life,

	Learnt: Insurance!  Have you enquired for FreeBSD if the
	Foundation could afford insurance for key named central
	staff ?  It's something companies that donate might relate
	to, & if added to Foundation web, might attract extra donations.

  I've helped run a club that left volunteers in office too long till
  they felt the club owed them, some got fractious & some burnt out.

	Learnt: That's why boards of directors have compulsory
	resignation by rotation.  (with option to stand for re-election)

The name 'Manager' asserts both authority & responsibility.
As portsmgr can't take decisions with risk of responsibility, ...

	Change portmgr@ to match reality,  (port-adm@ maybe ?).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultants Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, cumulative like a play script, & indent with "> ".