Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 22:56:56 -0400
From:      Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.diskless* patches

Hi,

I've put together some patches to the diskless startup code that I'd
like to commit.  I've made both -stable and -current versions of the
patches.  I've tested the -stable patches, but I have not tested the
-current patches, hopefully someone can do that and get back to me.
My -current environment is not working at the moment.

The patches do three things:

	1) Reduce diffs between the -current and -stable versions of
	   these files to a bare minimum.  Only the definition of the
	   shell function 'mount_md' is different.

	2) Provide the ability to make /tmp a memory filesystem
	   independent of /var.  This removes the requirement that
	   /tmp be a symlink to /var/tmp and this makes the diskless
	   code work with the default filesystem layout.

	3) Simplify the population of the /etc memory filesystem.  To
	   avoid the null mount, we currently create a temporary mfs
	   on /tmp, copy /etc to /tmp, then mount /etc as mfs and copy
	   everything back from /tmp, then delete the /tmp mfs.

	   The patch eliminates the /tmp mfs and the subsequent
	   copying and simply populates the /etc mfs by copying from
	   /conf/default/etc.  This requires that /conf/default/etc
	   contain a complete copy of all the /etc stuff instead of
	   just overrides.  I don't think that is too much of an extra
	   step in setting up a diskless environment.

My patches are at:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~bsd/diskless

Any comments are appreciated.

I wasn't sure of the best place to post for comments.  Some of this
was discussed on -stable.  I've seen the diskless code discussed on
-small also.  Instead of posting to -current, -stable, and -small, I'm
just posting to -arch, which seems appropriate.  If anyone feels that
it should get greater coverage, please feel free to forward
appropriately.

Thanks,
-Brian
--