Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 23:41:51 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Pat Lynch <lynch@rush.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: http://www.performance-computing.com/features/9810of1.shtml

I'm not saying it like that.

I'm saying that's where Linux teen kiddies come in. Besides, some attacks
have diagnostic value.  While I just got a hardware firewall (and I already
hate it, I got locked out of my network across the weekend) that claims to
block certain types of attacks, I may want to check just to see if it
supports 'newer' ones.

Don't forget, most exploits are posted to databases (i.e. bugtraq) as soon
as they are discovered.

By the way, Smurf (as well as others) don't compile on FreeBSD because of a
lack of certain header files that Linux has.  If I recall many of them are
in netinet/...

Also, this is an example.  There are some intuitive Linux programs that
can't compile for the same reason.  Sure, people should port, but I'm not
one to fix 250 various compile errors (of which could be linked to one line
of code, but still) if I don't have to.  So as it goes, I'm forced to have
a Linux box, a Solaris X86 box, and a FreeBSD box.  Of course, I like my
FreeBSD box most of all, because of how long i've been using FreeBSD.

At 09:21 PM 10/25/98 -0500, Pat Lynch wrote:

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998