Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 11:45:43 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Joe Glass <joe@glass.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compiling 3.5 kernel on 4.3

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 01:35:03PM -0400, Joe Glass wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to compile a freshly CVS'd 3.5 kernel, but I'm running
> 4.3.  When compiling the kernel, I tried using make buildkernel, and I
> get:
>=20
> root@glass:/usr/src/$ make buildkernel KERNEL=3DDELL2550.jeg
> make: don't know how to make buildkernel. Stop
>=20
> I know that config is version dependant, but I tried it anyway, and I
> got:
>=20
> root@glass:/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/$ config DELL2550.jeg=20
> config: line 47: root/dump/swap specifications obsolete
>=20
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

buildkernel is a 4.x thing.  You can probably do it the old-fashioned
way (config; make depend; make all) if you rebuild a 3.x config binary
first.  YMMV: I usually find it easier to do a complete 3.x
installation in a jail or chroot and just build it using the native
3.x userland.

Kris

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69

--zaRBsRFn0XYhEU69--