Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 2009 05:28:26 -0600
From:      CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo@cyberleo.net>
To:        cronfy <cronfy@sprinthost.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is too filesystem errors sensitive

cronfy wrote:

>>> Is there a way to say "Dear kernel, don't panic, I'am holding your hand,
>>> keep working please-please-please?" If so, can it lead to complete
>>> filesystem corruption indeed or it is not so serious?
>>>

>> Drop to DDB, fix it, and 'continue'?
>>

> If I type 'continue' kernel says 'Dumping... rebooting...'. What magic
> am I missing that you probably meant under "fix it"?

That's the point.

Once you have the requisite knowledge and understanding of the innards
of the kernel and the intricacies of the filesystem, and how these two
interact, then you will know how to 'fix it'. With that understanding,
you may also know when it is safe to tell the kernel to ignore a panic
that occurs to inform you of a critical problem that could cause far
more damage were it left alone.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo