Date:      Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:38:32 +0530 (IST)
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Merger, and what will its effects be on committers?

> > > No; the FreeBSD Project should do exactly the same thing. Anyone should
> > > be able to call their product FreeBSD;
> >
> >         This one statement alone shows that you are a complete
> >crack-smoker and not to be taken seriously.
>
> I see. In that case, I take it that you believe that only Walnut Creek
> should be able to use the name "FreeBSD" in a product name?

As an ordinary user not at all associated with FreeBSD
development, I find both positions uncomfortable. Obviously not
anyone should be allowed to use the FreeBSD trademark: it would
then cease to have value as a trademark. If Brett insists that
anyone should unconditionally be allowed to use it, one can only
suspect his motives.

On the other hand, it is a legitimate question whether someone
who adds on a new installer, or some graphical tools for system
administration, or whatever, but leaves the basic OS unchanged,
can continue to distribute it under the name FreeBSD. I believe
that they should be allowed to do so, if their product satisfies
some compatibility conditions which should be clearly laid out.
Apparently some core members who've been contributing on this
thread agree with the above; others think that such packagers can
call their product SomethingelseBSD and leave FreeBSD for only
WC/BSDI. Perhaps others would not even allow the BSD name to be
used. Personally I think restricting the FreeBSD name excessively
may be as dangerous as letting it loose altogether; and I also
think that if FreeBSD continues to grow, this question will arise
sooner rather than later. Just my 2p.