Date:      Tue, 5 Nov 2002 03:12:05 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, kbyanc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't resolve hosts via dns on the command line with latest -current

On 2002-11-04 10:45, Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@posi.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> > True.  I had been seeing problems with network connections the last
> > days, and was already in the process of backing out changes one by one
> > when I saw this.  Reverting 1.134 fixes things here.  If I put it back
> > in, strange DNS failures start causing troubles with almost everything
> > (including Sendmail, fetchmail, ssh).
>
> I've had this running on multiple machines for weeks without
> problems.  What is your resolve.conf and nsswitch.conf?  Curious,

I am running a local named that listens on { 127.0.0.1; }.

My nsswitch.conf contains:

	hosts: files dns

and resolv.conf is:

	search sea.gr freebsd.org irc.gr ceid.upatras.gr
	nameserver 127.0.0.1

The curious thing is that Sendmail or ssh fail to look up hostnames,
while running host(1) works.  I don't know if this is of any help, but
if you need more data about the local setup let me know.

Thanks for looking into this,
Giorgos.