Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 2000 03:06:58 -0700
From:      "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@pike.cdrom.com>
To:        Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@oreilly.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, rab@pike.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Articles about FreeBSD

Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@oreilly.com> said...
>Hi all,
>
>  I'm looking to write some articles about FreeBSD, and would like your
>input on what to write about.  Under-addressed issues, common problems,
>interesting nuggets about FreeBSD, something you'd like to learn, things
>you'd like to have taught, or anything of that ilk.

Hi Mike,
Where are these articles going to appear?  The subject of
the article depends a lot on the audience.  Will most readers
already be familiar with FreeBSD?

Here are some topics:

  * New features that will be coming in FreeBSD 4.1 or 5.0.

  * A case study:  Pick an organization that uses FreeBSD, and write
    about what they are doing with it.

  * A technical comparison of FreeBSD and Linux.  This is politically
    dangerous ground, so try to be objective and nonpartisan.

  * A comparison of the development methodologies of FreeBSD and Linux.

  * FreeBSD in embedded systems and/or Internet appliances.  Many people
    are predicting that as we move into the "post-PC" era, that IAs are
    going to be really big.  This is an area where FreeBSD is already
    very strong, for both technical and licensing reasons, and likely
    to become even more pervasive.

Let me know if you want more info on these topics, or if you would
like some additional idea.

	-bob