Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 17:58:45 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, miker@cs.utexas.edu
Subject:   Re: What's so evil about GPL

 >> I have heard many a times on the various FreeBSD fora that GPL is
 >> in some way 'bad'. Can somebody clue me in as to exactly why
 >> (esp. vs. the BSD copyright)?

  > . You are forced to become a software redistribution institution
  > once you have modified some of the source code, and intend to
  > redistrib- ute your modified work.

Er... Well, to redistribute your work, you normally have to be allied
with a software distributor, right?

  > . You are explicitly requested to demand at most the distribution
  > costs as a fee, but nothing more.

WHAT???  That's a common copyright, but not GPL.  WC offers tapes and
CD's of GNU software, and GNU themselves make most of the profit from
selling their products.  The GPL does not prohibit commercial sales,
only proprietary confidentiality.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped